Friday, January 16, 2009

January 16, 2009


Photo by Sharon Lee

Today i had an "ah ha" vegan moment. I was talking to a friend who told me that she was burning her ex-husband's clothes. I stopped her mid sentence and asked if any of the items were wool as I wanted to use the fabric from old wool sweaters and assemble a pattern of sorts to make a wool hat, sized specifically for my large head. Although I no longer purchase any animal products at the time I thought it fine to use these sweaters as they would be wasted in the fire. My feeling was by using the wool that was to be disposed of I would be "honoring" the sheep by wearing the sweater. After all they had already suffered for it that suffering should not go to waste. It then occurred to me that wearing the remnants of suffering did not honor the animal in any way in fact it was a constant reminder of the suffering that had occurred, was only about me and left the sheep's best interest out of the scenario completely.

Peace Always

Sharon

No comments: