Wednesday, October 8, 2008

October 8, 2008




As a vegan, the question most often asked, second to 'How do you get your protein?" is "What do you eat. When I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian it was very easy to grab something to eat even in a meat heavy eating environment such as central Pennsylvania. To stick to a vegan diet a bit of pre-planning and more home cooking is required.

Today, with the cooler weather I set out a pot of lentils, picked some kale and combined with onions, garlic, and a tomato made a fabulous international lunch.

Using my newest cookbook addition, The World in Your Kitchen, the lentils were transformed into "Yemesirkik (lentil stew-Ethiopia), and the kale was substituted for spinach and became "Saag"(India). With a cup of rice or some flatbread I've yet to create, I will have prepared food for the next 2-1/2-3 days.

Peace Always

Sharon

No comments: