Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September 30, 2008


What's for dinner, dear?
2005
acrylic on canvas
24" x 30"

When the leaves start to change color and I find myself with more inside projects than out, I know the autumn holidays are upon us and with that cooking group meals is in my near future. Whether a seder, iftar, or Thanksgiving meal there is almost always a woman at the helm.

When my daughter was young and most of my days were spent making meals, this household task was often depicted in my art work. Gathered with other Moms of young child the overwhelming tasks of cleaning, cooking and laundry translated to "hopeless, endless, relentless".

In 2005 I painted "What's For Dinner, Dear?" which was a direct quote from my neighbor to his wife when he arrived home from work. The painting itself is actually a scene of me at the rolling pin making ravioli for a family holiday dinner.

Peace Always

Sharon

No comments: