Friday, August 1, 2008

August 1, 2008



H.B. Meagan
2006
acrylic on canvas
36" x 16 "

Today I spent mush of the afternoon riveted to a book by Kien Nguyen called "The Unwanted". It is a memoir of a man who grew up during the Communist takeover of Vietnam. As I was reading this book I realized that I tend to choose non fiction literature more often than not. I do read other types of literature but true stories are what appeal to me most.

This desire for "real stuff" follows suit in my music, art and podcasts interests as well. In music I am drawn to the authenticity of Laura Nyro,Todd Rundgren and John Lennon, art it's Frida Kahlo and my favorite podcast is Keith and the Girl. There's a similarity in presenting these artists' truths-not always the easiest to ingest but compelling nonetheless.

When I create I try to emulate those who put themselves out there by expressing themselves truthfully whether easy on the ears, beautiful to the eye or inspiring to the head.

No comments: