Monday, June 2, 2008

June 2, 2008


Alright you guys caught me again. No painting today. This is indeed the frustrating life of an artist. I would have liked to blame the weather as it was a most beautiful day and hours of gardening and hiking in the woods could have almost justified not painting. But no I have no lofty excuse. I went on a date with my almost 19 year old to a matinee to see Sex and the City. I'm not going to give away any plots (if they had any to give) and I won't give my opinion on its merit as entertainment. However my daughter rarely wants to socialize with mom except for out Wednesday night take out dinners (which used to be take out and movie watching but now has been shortened to meal and taking left overs with her to her next stop). So I went see a movie that is over and under my head on so many levels that I needed a 2 hour nap when I got home.

I did still have thoughts about yesterday's blog concerning the suffering that goes on in this world. I heard on the Angry Hippie blog that because of money making opportunities rice would be diverted from Cambodia which is send there as part of a relief effort, News stories abound about the horrors of Darfur,the Middle East, the animal industry, bigotry, sexism, racism, speciesism, and on and on. As an artist I want to include thoughts concerning these things. Some are offensive to see and/or think about. I once heard Eric Marcus (an animal activist) beg people to help causes whether it was animal, human or environment issues. When I first heard this I was discouraged as I didn't see myself as a person who could stand on the corner passing out leaflet showing the horrid of animal treatment (as in the case with vegan outreach). But I do have a creative talent and I can paint. So when you are looking at my piece although initially they may seem bright and cheery there may be an underlying message that a few viewers will get. And for those people who do get what I say I hope that you will also use your talents to improve a world that is much in need of improvement.

Peace always

Sharon

No comments: